LIVING LAB 4: Hungary
Forest Research Institute - Bajti Breeding Yard research centre
Managed by: University of Sopron
The experimental site can be found near to Sárvár; next to the highway no. 84. It is located in a plain, riparian zone, near to river Rába.
The 0.5 ha allay cropping system was established in 2021.
The site was established with the aim of research into the possibilities of domestic adaptation of agroforestry systems, thereby establishing the foundation of sustainable agriculture.
General farming approach
Agroforestry, organic, integrated farming
- herb cultivation
- industrial wood production
- bee pasture
- testing different soil covering methods (effect on soil microclimate, productivity, etc…
- Improve microclimate, especially boosts the humidity
- Ameliorate water retention, keep the water in the soil
- Lift the water from the deepest soil layers
- Protect the plants from scorcing.
Soil and air microclimate measurements
Assessment of abundance of indicator species
Soil Biological Quality assessment (QBS)
Yield quantity and quality tests
Environmental footprint analysis with GaBi softwere
The aim and motivation of research is to set up a decision support model tailored to the local conditions, which can be easily used in practice and which can provide significant help in the economic decisions of domestic farmers interested in the topic in the future..
Design of the agroforestry system
Tree species: poplar (Populus x euramericana ‘Pannónia’)